Tuesday, March 29, 2011

The Non-Runners Marathon Guide for Women

The Nonrunner's Marathon  Guide for Women: Get Off Your Butt and On with Your Training

Why I Chose this book: I was looking for a book from a beginners perspective. I didn't want something overly technical, dry, or pretentious. Besides I'm totally a NON-runner! (who is slowly becoming a runner)

My Opinion: Even if in your opinion only crazy loons run marathons or 1/2 marathons its still a fun and funny read for someone just getting into running. I love that Dawn Dais doesn't take her self or running too seriously. A few of the books I've looked at were for people who are running sub 7 minute miles, and that's just not me! The book is both humorous and realistic. Dawn depicts the real torture of going from couch potato to marathoner. Nothing about the plan or her experience was easy except for maybe eating anything you want and not gaining weight. If this book were technical it would be a short and simple 30 - 50 pages of checklists, notes, goals, and information, but Dawn Dais transformed a dull read that had me in side splitting laughter, gasping for air, and some how inspired to give it a try! The book is light, simple, and has advice that any new runner NEEDS and might be too afraid to ask. Like what is Bodyglide and why do I need it, when does one really need GU, and how do I get through this hell! More experienced runners might just enjoy reading it for the humor and joy of reliving their early running days. No matter what your fitness level and running ability I highly recommend this book.

Rating: Overall I give this book a 4 1/2 out of 5 stars for its lighthearted, humorous nature and good information and encouragement for beginners.

~ LuLu

3 comments:

  1. Get a block [of wood, stone what ever] run around it a few times.

    Gratz - you ran a few times around the block!

    Daily fitness over :D

    ReplyDelete